The Underwater Menace DVD will be being animated as had been speculated for some time.
Planet 55 Studios are said to be once again animating the missing episodes of the serial following their successful animation of The Tenth Planet Episode 4 and The Moonbase.
Dan Hall has recently gone on record to say that work was at the very early stages and he was hopeful for a 2014 release, it will likely be the last release from Pup Ltd as both Web and Enemy were done entirely by Worldwide.
The progress of The Underwater Menace seems to have been incredibly troubled, work being commissioned in early 2012 and the extras being ready for grading as early as July 2013. In November of this year Steve Roberts stated that they were waiting for bits of animation to come from Planet 55 after stating that the only unseen thing that the Restoration Team had worked on was The Moonbase and The Underwater Menace. This of course may have been a singular reference to Moonbase alone, but UM was originally suggested by the BBC to have been scheduled for “sometime after April.” Steve has since suggested the delay is at Planet 55′s end, speculating that it may possibly be due to the studio’s ongoing work with their Prisoner Zero cartoon for ABC.
A trailer has been passed by the BBFC and will presumably appear on either The Web of Fear or The Moonbase.
In other news, the final details of The Moonbase DVD extras have also been released:
- Fully remastered Episodes 2 and 4 with newly animated Episodes 1 and 3.
- Commentary on Episodes 2 and 4 with Anneke Wills, Frazer Hines and Edward Phillips and Special Sounds creator Brian Hodgson.
- Commentary on Episodes 1 and 3 will feature a series of interviews with writer Kit Pedler’s daughters Lucy Pedler and Carol Topolski, archive interviews with producer Innes Lloyd, AFM Lovett Bickford and Cyberman actors Barry Noble, Derek Chaffer and Reg Whitehead. Moderated and linked by Toby Hadoke.
- Lunar Landing – The Moonbase cast and crew look back on the making of the story. With Anneke Wills, Frazer Hines and Reg Whitehead alongside production assistant Desmond McCarthy.
- Photo Gallery
- Coming Soon
- Radio Times listings.
- Programme subtitles.
- Subtitle Production Notes.
The Moonbase is released on January 20, 2013 in the UK.Don't forget to visit our forums to discuss this story and many more! A friendly, open and free thinking forum for all Doctor Who fans.
All opinion pieces published on this website are the personal opinions of the author and do not represent the views of this website as a whole. Any articles based on rumours will come from a variety of sources and may be true, true in part or completely false, they should not be repeated as fact nor taken as anything other than the rumours they are until there is confirmation from official sources.